ABANYALA BA KAKAMEGA: Words to Express Politeness in Olunyala (K).

Abanyala ba kakamega speak with a lot of etiquette in their verbal interactions. The main way being addition of the ~kho Politeness Marker Suffix (PMS) on verbs.  The following are the main ways used to signal politeness.
  1. Ab'oluyali- used as word of respect when addressing honourable person(s).
    1. Abakeni ab'oluyali, milembe.
    2. Omukeni ow'oluyali Yosefu Wawire, mulembe.
  2. Ab'owaali- Used as a word of respect to address guests and hosts on high table or those on the alter during a function.
    1. Abakeni ab'owaali, mulembe.
    2. Omukeni owokhuwaali, mulembe.
  3. Asanti- thank you. Borrowed from Kiswahili which means the same as ochio.
    1. Ekhupa asanti khu kuka Nyota.
    2. Asanti okhumberesa omukherekha
  4. ~ateeka- thank you that is laced with some meaning shade of congratulations.
    1. Bateeka okhubicha ekera.
    2. Wateeka okhuchukeniya.
    3. Mwateeka okhuchulechera embusi.
    4. Wakiteeka yaya. Congratulations my step-brother for the job you are doing. 
  5. Atiti- welcome. Used as an answer after being told thank you. At times the phrase wesi ochio is used.
    • Mama: Ochio khusiokhulia. Thank you for the food
    • Baba: Atiti mama. Welcome, mother.
  6. B'antu- 'Excuse me' that is laced with some meaning shade of hate or dissatisfaction. 
    1. B'antu, chulayo embiche.
    2. B'antu, njusekho oluhere?
  7. Basye- Means please that is laced with some meaning shade of hate or dissatisfaction. 
    1. Basye, ndekhe embe. Leave me alone please
    2. Basye, wunangira sina? Please,why are you calling me
  8. Baye- Please that is laced with some hate or dissatisfaction. Alternative to basye.
    1. Baye, ndekhe embe. Leave me alone please
    2. Baye, wunangira sina? Please,why are you calling me?
  9. ~beere- forgive; pardon me
    1. Mbeere okhucheba, niwe owibire amatumwa? Pardon me for asking, are you the one who stole maize?
  10. Hera- hello. Commonly used when you want to give a warning. 
    1. Hera, okenda makesi. Hello, walk around cautiously.
    2. Hera, olinda omunwa; ochalinda elisi.
  11. ~hoti- excuse me I enter a room. Used in a home setting and not schools and offices toask for permission to enter.
    1. Hoti munyumba muno.
  12. Kalaha- sorry. Used when addressing second or third person. 
    1. Kuka, kalaha khukakhukhwiyekho. Grandfather, sorry for what has befallen you.
  13. ~kho suffix- the use of this politenes marker suffix (PMS) ~kho on verbs is the main way to express politeness when using verbs. The politeness marker suffix can also be doubled to increase the degree of politeness.
    1. Yeya muweru (Impolite request/order)
    2. Yeyakho muweru. (politer request)
    3. Yeyakhokho muweru. (politest request)
  14. ~khomo, ~khoyo, ~khoho, ~khokho- place marker suffixes ~mo, ~yo, ~ho and ~kho can be added to verbs with the PMS ~kho to mark politeness in a request.
    1. Omuliro kuchiima, mbanirekhomo. The fire is getting off, please ignite it for me.
    2. Njirekhoyo, ese endirikhirwe. Please go thereon mybehalf, I am held up.
    3. Njeyerekhoho nase ni'fuka. Please, sweep for me here as I cook.
    4. Njerekhokho chumbe. Please, putsome salt on top of it for me.
  15. ~kongoyera- pleading
    1. Ekhwekongoyera, mbekho owusie. Plead with you, helps me some flour.
  16. Mbeere- forgive me. 
    1. Mbeere, nise oliye omukhenye.
  17. Mbeere embolekhomo- Pardon me; forgive me for what I want to say. Used to interrupt politely or to ask a speaker to repeat. 
    1. Mberevembolekhomo, kolekho si owooye.
  18. Mbolakho wusa- I say without offence.
    1. Mbolakho wusa, ewe oli omwibi. I say without offence, you are a thief.
  19. Mwikhae- sorry for coming in when you are already seated. Used when addressing a group of people you find seated. 
    1. Mwikhae bakoki.
  20. N'eria- with due respect respect and honour
    1. Ne'eria, ekhusaba wumbekho eng'ombe. With due respect, I request you give me a cow.
  21. N'esiebeera- with feelings of sorrow, empathy and sympathy. pect title for the living dead.
    1. N'esibeera, ekhuwaala efwa lia Nyongesa.
  22. N'oluyali- with respect, gratitude and honour
    1. No'luyali, ekhusaba wumbekho eng'ombe. With a lot of gratitude, I request you give me a cow. 
  23. Ochio- Thanks; precisely. 
    1. Ochio, kuka. Thanks grandfather.
    2. Ochio okhwicha. Thanks for coming.
  24. Ochio muno- thank you very much. 
    1. Ochio muno okhwicha. Thank you very much for coming.
  25. Omukhaye- this title of honour which is used for a lady of approved social status to. mark respect.
    1. Omukhaye Lena Kulundu kekhaye mu'nyumba.
  26. Omukhulunchu- it is a respect laced title used for a man who is a elder in society.
    1. Omukhulunchu Sikanga Waudo, mulembe.
  27. Omukoosi- this is a respect laced title of honour for a royal person:  Excellency, his Lordship, sir.
    1. Omukoosi Wamwalwa Kijana, mulembe.
  28. Omukuka- respect title for the male living dead.
    1. Omukuka Mukwe Maloba kali omukhebi.
  29. Omukukhu- respect title for the female living dead.
    1. Omukuka Mukwe Maloba kali omukhebi.
  30. Omwami- this is a respect laced title of honour for a man of approved social status: honourable, rich, elder, hisband, boss, elected leader, sir.
    1. Omwani Wangwe, mulembe.
  31. ~onekhana- it seems. Used to introduce one's opinion in a polite manner. 
    1. Kaonekhana, oli omwimani.
    2. Bionekhana, olabekho omubi.
  32. Owase- Excuse me. Used by people who are of same status to address each other. 
    1. Owase, mbekho enyama. Excuse me, give me some meat.
    2. Owase ewe, owaho. Excuse me, are you going home. 
  33. Pole- sorry. Borrowed from Kiswahili to mean the same as kalaha.
    1. Pole okhukosia omukhaye. Sorry for the deathof your wife.
    2. Pole mwanewe, ekhusenirekho. Sorry child for stepping on you..
  34. ~saba omunwa- I/we apologise. Used to ask leave of absence or to be allowed to talk when another person was talking. 
    1. Esaba omunwa, endi okhucherewakho. I ask for apology for I will be late.
  35. ~amusangalira Used when you  welcome visitors into a home to show happiness for their arrival.
    1. Namusangalira abakeni, yingire mu'nyumba. I happily welcome you visitors, enter the house.
    2. Khwamusangalira abakeni, yongire mu'nyumba.We happily welcome you visitors, enter the house.
  36. ~siima- please. Used when you want to place a request.
    1. Ni osiima, khuchie engo. Please, let us go home.
    2. Mwakhasiima, namukanirakho olukano lwange? Would you like me to tell you my tale?
    3. Ni musiima, chukabekho eswa.
  37. Weebale- thanks.
    1. Webale baba.
    2. Webale okhumba omunyu.
  38. Yeee- a polite way of responding to a call. Done with a rising intonation. It is followed by the relation title of the caler.
    1. Yee mama, nise ono ano.
    2. Yee kukhu. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABANYALA BA KAKAMEGA: Verbs in Olunyala (K)

ABANYALA BA KAKAMEGA: Abanyala Music, Dances and Clothing

ABANYALA BA KAKAMEGA: The Clan of Abasonge.